When it comes to the matter of weight loss, you may hear buzzwords such as lifestyle and change….as in, you need to make a change to your lifestyle in order to achieve weight loss. It may seem like losing weight is a simple goal… but if it were that simple, obesity would not be classified as a disease.
While trendy magazine ads and infomercials make weight loss seem effortless, losing weight takes hard work and dedication which often means changing different aspects of your life like, how you schedule your day, how you spend your time off, and how/what you eat.
What is Your Current Lifestyle?
The reason that lifestyle choices are so important in your weight loss journey is because how you live determines your choices and these choices decide the state of your health. What is a healthy lifestyle? Typical components to a healthy lifestyle include eating healthy unprocessed foods, not smoking, and exercising to keep the body fit. Do you feel that you are making healthy choices? First, figure out how much time you spend doing the following:
- Sitting in the car
- Sitting at a desk
- Sitting in front of a computer
- Sitting in front of a TV
- Drinking alcohol
- Eating out at restaurants
- Eating fast foods or junk foods
- Not getting enough sleep/staying up late
How much time do you spend:
- Doing cardio
- Being active in general (walking instead of driving, cleaning, taking the stairs, or gardening)
- Strength training for all muscle groups with weights
- Reading food labels
- Preparing your own meals and eating healthy snacks such as fruits, veggies and whole grains
- Tracking your calories
- Dealing with stress in a healthy way
If you spend more time doing things on the first list as opposed to the second list, it is time to reevaluate your priorities and decide if you are dedicated to making healthy changes in your life. Healthy living means spending time and energy on your body, paying attention to what you are using to fuel it, and moving it around.
As humans, we tend to fall into habits and routines, so much that we often keep doing the same thing even when we know that it is not good for us. Changing bad habits takes time and effort. Here a few questions to answer about your lifestyle currently. Adjust your lifestyle to make healthier choices after answering.
- What time do you go to bed each night?
- What time do you get up each morning?
- How do you spend your free time?
- How do you spend your money?
- How do you shop, cook and eat?
- How much TV do you watch daily?
- What do you do with your family and friends?
In the beginning it can be a bit difficult, but the rewards are endless. Get motivated and start your journey today!
2650 Lake Sahara Dr. Ste. 100
Las Vegas, NV 89117